[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tul

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 24 07:13:15 PST 2020

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Klingon word: 	tul
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	hope
Source:		TKD

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vItul
I hope that you speak Klingon (st.klingon 7/01/1997)

DujDaj HubtaHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
To die defending his ship is the hope of every Klingon. (TKW)

Qu'Daj ta'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
To die in the line of duty is the hope of every Klingon. (TKW)

wo' toy'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
To die while serving the Empire is the hope of every Klingon. (TKW)

naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul.  (st.k, MO to SuStel 11/1996)

wanI'vam Dun luleghlaHmeH tlhIngan SuvwI' Duypu' bongeH
  'e' lutul tera'nganpu'
We hope that you can send a delegation of honorable emissaries
  to witness this glorious event. ('u'-MTK)

nughraj Dun lurDechmeyraj Dun je DIvuvta' 'e' lutul HaDwI'pu'
  'ej vItul jIH. lIbelmoH paqvam 'e' vItul.
The editors and I hope to have respected your rich culture and
  tradition, and we hope that you will be pleased with the results.
  (Vincent Van Gerven Oei's speech at qepHom wa'maHDIch)

tlhIngan Hol boHaDrup 'e' vItul
(Maltz greeting to qepHom 2013 [via Lieven, 11/12/2013])

wa’leS wov jul ‘e’ vItul
I hope tomorrow will be sunny.
(lit. “I hope tomorrow the sun is bright”) (qep’a’ 2016)

TREK TRIVIA:

TALAK'TALAN: I was hoping the first race I'd meet from the other side of the
                            anomaly would be the Klingons.
SISKO:               I'm sorry to disappoint you.
TALAK'TALAN: It's too late for apologies. […] I hear that Klingons are effective
	             warriors. What's that weapon they're so fond of? The *bat'leth*?
SISKO:                I am not interested in discussing the Klingons.  [….]
TALAK'TALAN:  I was really hoping to meet a Klingon.  [DS9 “The Jem’Hadar”]

SEE ALSO:
neH 		want (v)
jIn 		wish (v)
pIH 		expect (v)