[tlhIngan Hol] only spartan women give birth to real men

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Nov 17 10:43:39 PST 2020

Am 17.11.2020 um 19:09 schrieb Will Martin:
> While I understand that it’s common in English and perhaps other human
> languages to answer a “Why?” question with a dependent clause starting
> with “Because”, I’m curious as to whether or not we can assume the same
> is true in Klingon.

We have a clear canon example for this in Star Trek Into Darkness:

Klingon:
{toH, Hey Humanpu'. qatlh DISaH?}
"Why should I care about a human killing humans?"

Uhura:
{potlhmo' batlh, vIqawba'.}
"Because you care about honor."

Okay, okay, Uhura is not a Klingon, but at least it's a canon example,
and the Klingon captain was not confused. And usually, Okrand only gives
wrong grammar when asked to do so. (cf. ST:VI)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"