[tlhIngan Hol] only spartan women give birth to real men

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Nov 17 10:09:28 PST 2020

While I understand that it’s common in English and perhaps other human languages to answer a “Why?” question with a dependent clause starting with “Because”, I’m curious as to whether or not we can assume the same is true in Klingon.

Likely, this is less of a grammar question than a cultural one, since it’s obvious that you CAN do it. The question is more whether a native Klingon speaker (in the imaginary world where they exist) would receive such an answer with aplomb, or whether it would raise eyebrows and sideways glances, like walking up to someone working at a desk, putting out your hand for a handshake, yelling, {nuqneH!}

One complete sentence version would be:

{ja’chuqtaHvIS loDqoqpu’, jatlhlaHba’ *SIparta’ngan* be’.}

And no, I don’t expect anyone to agree with me.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.