[tlhIngan Hol] beware greeks bearing gifts

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 10 09:11:03 PST 2020

On 11/10/2020 11:44 AM, SuStel wrote:
> On 11/10/2020 11:35 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
>> And for the topic, don't forget TKW, p. 189:
>>
>> {nobmey qembogh yIrIDnganpu''e' yIvoqQo'.}
>> "Don't trust Yridians who bring gifts."
>>
>> Which uses the -'e' suffix to avoid ambiguity, but does a prefix error.
>
> nob qembogh 'elaDya'ngan tIvoqQo'.
>
> Combining all the best parts.

Just found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Danaos_et_dona_ferentes

The original sentence is in Latin: /Timeo Danaos et ferentes,/ which
literally means /I fear the Danaans [Greeks], even though bearing gifts/
or /even when they bear gifts./

A Klingon translation more true to the original (but I won't keep the
ancient name) might be:

mughIj 'elaDya'ngan, vabDot nob qemDI'.