[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'er'In

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Nov 10 08:32:10 PST 2020

It’s interesting that since there is no definition for which end of a stick gets the name {‘er’In} or {megh’an}, the example {naQ megh'an ‘er’In ghap yI’uch}, {naQ ‘er’In yI’uch}, and {naQ megh'an yI’uch} all have exactly the same meaning.

The assumption, of course, is that a stick has exactly two ends. Otherwise, if you included branching twigs, you’d need a third noun for the third end. Given the Klingon love of the number three, I’m half surprised that word doesn’t exist. If it referred to the end of the stick from which the other two sticks fork, it might sound a lot like *mom*...

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.