[tlhIngan Hol] action based language

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 9 21:51:35 PST 2020

(I am not trying to prove anything, just do some research.)

I just checked TKW and actually found some canon phrases which are
translated using verbs where a noun would have been possible. Maybe this
does not pove anything, but these are good examples to show how you can
rephrase a translation using verbs instead of nouns:

The memory of you sings in my blood.
bomDI' 'IwwIj qaqaw. (TKW, p. 17)
lit: "When my blood sings, I remember you."

A warrior does not complain about physical discomfort.
loQ 'oy'DI' bepbe' SuvwI'. (TKW p. 46)
lit: "When a warrior has a bit pain, he does not complain"

A warrior fights to the death.
wej Heghchugh vay', SuvtaH SuvwI'. (TKW p. 88)
lit: "A warrior fights as long as he has not died."

Only fools have no fear.
not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'. (TKW p. 88)
lit: "Only fools are never scared."

Fear is power.
vay' DaghIjlaHchugh bIHoSghaj. (TKW p. 109)
lit: "If you can scare someone, you are powerful."

A fool's only achievement is death.
Hegh neH chav qoH. (TKW p. 115)
lit: "The fool only achieves death."

An honorable death requires no vengeance.
batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay'. (TKW p. 115)
lit: "Somebody does not seek revenge if one dies honorably."

The execution of one warrior brings shame to all.
wa' SuvwI' muHlu'DI', tuHchoH Hoch SuvwI'pu'. (TKW p. 136)
lit: "If one warrior is executed, all warriors begin to be ashamed."

Remember the scent.
vay' DalarghDI' yIqaw. (TKW p. 157)
lit: "If you smell something, remember it."

reH DuSIgh vavlI'.
Your father is a part of you always.* (TKW p. 170)
lit: "Your father always influences you."

No pain, no gain.
'oy'be'lu'chugh Qapbe'lu'. (TKW p. 175)
lit: "If one does not hurt, one does not win."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"