[tlhIngan Hol] bID in noun-noun constructions

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu May 14 14:39:01 PDT 2020

Note that a half deck could be something not half as BIG as a deck. It could be something half as HIGH as a deck.

Think of a split-level house. Now, apply that to a ship.

In a European historical sailing ship, it refers to a specific deck of the ship that seems to be arbitrarily named. Given the lack of this history, it seems odd that Klingons would seek a similarly named deck as some sort of parallel.

The Wikipedia page has so many deck names, it can be confusing, but it seems that in a square-rigger like Columbus sailed, or the early American Colonists, the forecastle was in front, the quarterdeck was in the back, and the half deck was between them, except on ships that had even more decks/levels on top.

It’s generally the lowest top of the ship that all the masts stick out of.

What that’s got to do with a Bird of Prey escapes me.

My guess is that somebody at ViaComm asked Okrand to translate “Half Deck” for someone who didn’t know what a half deck was, and Okrand, who probably ALSO doesn’t know what a half deck is, came up with a word-by-word translation without giving it as much thought as we do.

If I remember the poster — it’s at work and I’m at home, in quarantine — they were indicating something higher than the other deck and toward the rear, which would have more appropriately been called a quarterdeck, if they did want to make a parallel with old sailing ships.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.