[tlhIngan Hol] can jaH take a person as its' object ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue May 26 09:37:19 PDT 2020

qatlho’. You’ve convinced me that there’s less of a difference between {jaH} and {ghoS} than I previously had thought.

The primary difference, as I still understand it, is that the object of {jaH} (if one is given) is the destination, and nothing but the destination, while the object of {ghoS} can be any landmark that might be used to identify the path one is moving along. Most commonly, that would be the destination, but {ghoS} has more to do with the path followed than it does with getting to a specific place.

It’s one of those interesting Klingon words that means something that doesn’t precisely and interchangeably map to a specific English verb. It means that you are in motion along a specific, intentional path or course.

{jaH} is a somewhat more common “go, go to”.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.