[tlhIngan Hol] can jaH take a person as its' object ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue May 26 05:56:55 PDT 2020

On 5/26/2020 8:13 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Suppose I'm at one room and gowron is at another. I want to say to
> gowron "come to me". Wouldn't it be strange to say {HIjaH} "go to me"
> ? In this case shouldn't I say {HIchol} or {HIghoS} ?

In English it's strange because we have the different words /go/ and
/come,/ which imply motion away from (or unrelated to) and toward the
speaker. We don't have this split in Klingon, and we have little data
about whether it would be strange to Klingons. We know that *HIghoS* has
been used a couple of times, but *HIjaH* and *HIchol* have not. (I don't
think *HIchol* would be used for this anyway, since the point isn't to
make your distance to me less but to come to the same room as me.)