[tlhIngan Hol] bID in noun-noun constructions

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue May 12 09:15:53 PDT 2020

For whatever reason, every instance of {bID} in the word list combined as a compound noun or noun noun construction uses {bID} as the last word:

moQbID
qubbID
DIr bID
paH bID
yopwaH bID
DIr paH bID

While number words tend to precede the nouns they modify, {bID} acts more like a modifier. While it’s not an adjectival verb, it might be thought of more like a typical noun-noun construction. “Half of a utility deck” or “a utility deck’s half”.

We don’t think of the word “whole” as a number. If you think of “half” as being related to “whole”, then perhaps you can avoid the assumption that it works just like a number in English. It apparently doesn’t have to be a number in Klingon. I’m not sure it can be a number in Klingon, though those who know canon can probably answer that better than I can.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.