[tlhIngan Hol] can jaH take a person as its' object ?

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon May 25 05:54:55 PDT 2020

Suppose I'm in one room, gowron is at another, and I want to say "I go to
gowron".

Until some time ago, I would have said {ghawran vIjaH}, but recently I
started wondering whether {jaH} can indeed take a person as an object.

I'm asking, because writing {ghawran vIjaH} gives me the impression that at
the end of the {jaH}ing, I'll be actually hugging gowron, standing on him
or something similar.

If you think about it, whenever you go to a person you are actually
approaching him, and at the end of the approaching, the thing which has
actually taken place, is that the initial distance has been considerably
decreased.

But you don't actually go *to* him/her, in the same way you'd go to a
place, where you end up standing in/on that place.

So, why not say instead {ghawran vIchol} or {ghawran vIghoS} ?

~ mayqel qunen'oS