[tlhIngan Hol] ja'chuq and jatlhchuq

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu May 21 04:31:46 PDT 2020

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> Unless someone else has seen something I missed, we have
> no canon example of a speaking sentence introducing an entire dialog.

What actually led me to ask about this in the first place, was reading
a text which wrote: "People were sitting and discussing.." And then,
followed the dialogue. I know, one could write things like:

wa'vaD jatlh latlh..
jatlh nuvpu'vam..
jatlh wa', 'ej jang latlh..

But once I thought the {ja'chuq}, I said to myself "what the jay' ?
but we already *have* a verb meaning 'discuss, confer' so why not use
it ?"

If the ja'chuq is {ja'} with {-chuq}, then it would be pretty strange
for it not to be able to introduce quotations. Of course one could
argue - as you correctly pointed out-  that "to introduce one sentence
is one thing, but to introduce an entire dialogue is quite another".

Perhaps.. But it would be weird to say that two people are
{ja'chuq}ing and then follow with only one or two sentences. On the
other hand though, I realize that lacking Ca'Non we can't really know
for sure.

As far as the {jatlhchuq} is concerned, again I realize that there is
no Ca'Non to support it, but if we *can* say {qajatlhpu' HIghoS}, then
why couldn't we say too {majatlhchuqpu'..} Although, now that I'm
thinking this over, I don't know whether we've actually seen any
Ca'Non using the prefix trick with {jatlh}, so perhaps this all
approach has been wrong from the start.

~ mayqel qunen'oS