[tlhIngan Hol] bID in noun-noun constructions

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:24:46 PDT 2020

charghwI':
> Note that a half deck could be something not half as
> BIG as a deck. It could be something half as HIGH as a deck.

You're right. Indeed, we didn't consider this option in this thread thus far..

charghwI':
> My guess is that somebody at ViaComm asked Okrand to translate
> “Half Deck” for someone who didn’t know what a half deck was, and
> Okrand, who probably ALSO doesn’t know what a half deck is, came
> up with a word-by-word translation without giving it as much thought
> as we do.

I don't know about that.. Many times I've come across things I don't
understand, and my instinctive reaction is that "there's no rationale
behind them; they happened by luck/randomly". And soon, when someone
explains them to me, I realize that there was indeed a
reason/explanation behind them.

What I like in De'vID's explanation of the way {bID} is to be used, is
that it explains the Ca'Non we have so far. Although, since I'm not
quite sure I understood De'vID's explanation fully, that's why I wrote
the pizza example earlier, an example about which I'm wondering,
whether it's indeed correct..

~ mayqel qunen'oS