[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nobHa'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon May 11 22:37:53 PDT 2020

On Mon, 11 May 2020 at 22:52, Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

> It’s interesting that the subject of {nob} is the indirect object of
> {nobHa’}.

It is?

>From The Klingon Way p.189:
{Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'.} [sic - {yI-} should be {tI-}]

The subject of {nob} is the giver. The subject of {nobHa'} is also the
giver (or giving-back-er). The indirect object in both cases (if you mean a
noun with {-vaD}) is the recipient.

> I’m surprised that {nobHa’} isn’t to take something back, rather than to
> give something back.

I guess I can see the logic in that, but {nobHa'} is very easily explained
as "undo giving", and it's open whether the subject of {nobHa'} is the
original giver or the original recipient. Perhaps it can work either way,
depending on context?

However, {tlhapqa'} is obviously "retrieve" (take something back).

--
De'vID