[tlhIngan Hol] {-meH}ed nouns with {-chuq}

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed May 6 06:55:32 PDT 2020

Am 06.05.2020 um 15:17 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
> The way I understand the {ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'} is that it goes as:

The way I understand "banana" is that it refers to a kind of bycicle.

> (ja'chuqmeH) rojHom neH jaghla' = in order that some unstated parties
> discuss with each other,

I agree that there are two ways to read the sentence:

1. [ja'chuqmeH rojHom] neH jaghla'.
2. [ja'chuqmeH], rojHom neH jaghla'.

But since TKD clearly explained that at least in this situation, version
1 is intended, I am sure that it answers your question.

> The reason I understand this sentence this way, is that it sounds
> weird to have {ja'chuqmeH rojHom} as in "confering truce".

Maybe it sounds weird to you, but I see no problem in "truce in order to
talk to each other".

> Could we say the following?
>
> {nga'chuqmeH mIw bopbe' ruSchaj}
> their relation isn't about sex

I'm not sure about the English translation, but I see nothing against
{nga'chuqmeH mIw}.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"