[tlhIngan Hol] {-meH}ed nouns with {-chuq}

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed May 6 06:17:04 PDT 2020

tkd/maltz/okrand:
> {ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'}
> "The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer."

I don't know whether this Ca'Non example can clarify the original
question of this thread.

Lets take things from the beginning..

{qeqmeH taj} = knife in order to train/training knife; the purpose of
this knife is to train with it.

{QongmeH Duj} = ship in order to sleep; unless you have your teddy
bear, pillow, and pajamas don't board this ship.

Now, back to the Ca'Non example..

The way I understand the {ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'} is that it goes as:

(ja'chuqmeH) rojHom neH jaghla' = in order that some unstated parties
discuss with each other, the enemy commander wishes a truce. Perhaps,
this enemy commander is one of the parties involved, but what matters
is, that there could be an unstated subject of the {ja'chuqmeH}. So,
this sentence could actually be:

ja'chuqmeH (unstated parties), rojHom neH jaghla'.

The reason I understand this sentence this way, is that it sounds
weird to have {ja'chuqmeH rojHom} as in "confering truce". And even if
it doesn't, the problem still remains, that this Ca'Non example can be
interpreted either way.

So, (unfortunately), the original question of this thread still stands:

Could we say the following?

{nga'chuqmeH mIw bopbe' ruSchaj}
their relation isn't about sex

~ mayqel qunen'oS