[tlhIngan Hol] tlhIngan Hol DajatlhtaHvIS nItlhejpu' 'Iv? / Counting conversant speakers

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:36:54 PDT 2020

Recently it came up in conversation about whether there are "generations"
of Klingon speakers. (It came up because I have a son, who now knows a
little bit of Klingon.)

This made me think of a message I sent way back in 2013 (quoted in
entirety) below, which didn't get a lot of responses at the time. (Just
four other people supplied their info, which isn't enough to build a
detailed picture.)

Do people think of (abstract, not biological) "generations" of Klingon
speakers? For example, participants in the first few {qep'a'}s seem to form
one "generation". I have never been to a {qep'a'}, but I have met several
1st-geners in person, and I joined the mailing list quite early and have
participated several times in Lieven's qepHom'a'. So I feel like I'm a
2nd-gener. More recently, there has been something of a boom in interest in
Klingon (starting around the time Star Trek Into Darkness came out in
2013), and to me they feel a little bit like another "generation" of
speakers. (And maybe there have been multiple, but I haven't noticed.)

Does anyone else see things that way?

Anyway, I wish I had a social graph of Klingon speakers showing how people
know each other (in real life, virtually, etc.) so we can visually see what
the community connections look like.

Also, I wonder how many children of Klingon speakers also speak Klingon?
Are there any biological 3rd-generation Klingon speakers yet (and if not,
when will that happen)?

--
De'vID