[tlhIngan Hol] New words from Hamletmachine

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Mar 31 11:57:09 PDT 2020

Most of these are well explained, but one word gives me pause.

On Mar 30, 2020, at 4:02 PM, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
> {qaw'} - flip over
> {qaw'moH} - flip over (i.e. "make something flip over")

In the demonstration you gave in the video interview by DeSDu', it looked like you were showing an action I would define as “*tip* over”. The object started basically in a vertical orientation and ended up horizontal after being pushed. It rotated through only a quarter of a circle. Was that the meaning you used in the translation? Or was your physical example not quite indicative of the true sense of the word?

If a playing card is flat on a table, with the suit and rank facing down and hidden, do I {qaw'moH} it to reveal it? Is {qaw'moH} what I do to a pancake or meat patty halfway through cooking it? Those would definitely be “flip over”. It’s a 180° rotation.

Or is {qaw'} what a domino does after I balance it on an end and tap it sideways to make it fall? Do I {qaw'moH} an outhouse or a Porta-Potty? That would be “tip over”, a 90° rotation.

-- ghunchu'wI'

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list