[tlhIngan Hol] using {-lI'} instead of {-taH} during the {-taHvIS}

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 05:07:51 PDT 2020

The suffix {-lI'} is to be used when there's an ongoing action, proceeding
towards a known goal or stopping point.

So I wonder..

If there's an ongoing action, taking place during another action, or during
a specified time period, then couldn't that ongoing action be "by
definition" described by the {-lI'} ?

In other words, if we have a {-taHvIS} during which an ongoing action takes
place, then couldn't this ongoing action *always* be expressed by the
{-lI'} ?

With the "stopping point" of the {-lI'} being the end of the action/time
period described by the {-taHvIS} ?

Examples:

The {qaStaHvIS wej rep, romuluS SuvtaH yaS}, could be instead {qaStaHvIS
wej rep, romuluS SuvlI' yaS}, with the "known stopping point" being the end
of the three-hour period.

The {jISeDtaHvIS, QoQ vIQoytaH}, could be also {jISeDtaHvIS QoQ vIQoylI'},
with the "known stopping point" being the end of "my driving".

I can't thing of an example like the ones mentioned, where the {-taHvIS}
can't be followed by a {-lI'} instead of a {-taH}.

Of course, since I'm not sure with regards to all this, I'd love to hear
any opinion on the matter.

~ mayqel qunen'oS