[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghar

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 16 08:42:18 PDT 2020

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, March 16, 2020

Klingon word: ghar
Part of speech: verb
Definition: conduct diplomacy

(KGT 51):  Though many Klingons themselves are apt to describe the Federation's Starfleet as a type of {QI'}, this is not really an appropriate use of the term, since {QI'} refers to the military only, while the functions of Starfleet are scientific and diplomatic as well.

CULTURAL NOTES:
  "If you were not an ambassador I would disembowel you right now!" (Worf to Iyaaran Amb. Byleth, who had accused Worf of lying during a poker game [TNG "Liaisons"])

  Future Alexander became a diplomat, a peacemaker on the Klingon Homeworld. "The cause of peace is an honorable one." (Worf to Future-Alexander, TNG "Firstborn")

  Other known Klingon ambassadors/diplomats include Kamarag (ST4 & SAREK), Koord (ST5), Kell (TNG "The Mind's Eye"), K'Ehleyr was a Federation emissary/ambassador (TNG "The Emissary", "Reunion").

TREK TRIVIA:
  “Diplomacy should be a job left to diplomats.” (Special Ambassador Robert Fox to Scott & McCoy, TOS “A Taste of Armageddon”)

  "the only tool diplomacy has is language." (Amb. Hodin, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

  "Diplomats and bureaucrats may function differently, but they achieve exactly the same results." (Spock, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

  "We must acknowledge once and for all that the purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." (Spock, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

MCCOY:  Just when I was beginning to think you might find a new career as a diplomat!
SPOCK:    Do not give up that hope, Doctor.                           [TOS "The Mark of Gideon"]
                 [Spock did eventually became one in, cf. TNG "Reunification, Pts. 1 & 2)

  "I’m a soldier, not a diplomat." (Kirk, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  “Diplomats! The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank!” (Scott to McCoy, TOS “A Taste of Armageddon”)

SEE:
ghar  		diplomacy (n)
gharwI'  	diplomat (n)
 -  wa' vub ghaH tlhIngan gharwI''e'
    One hostage is a Klingon diplomat. (ST5 notes)

SEE ALSO:
roj 		make peace (v)
Sutlh 		negotiate (v)

Duy'a' 		ambassador (n)