[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: naQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 9 07:28:18 PDT 2020

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, March 07, 2020

Klingon word: naQ
Part of speech: noun
Definition: staff

nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh 'oH
  tlhIngan nISwI' beH'e'
The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor,
  attached to an extended power supply stock.  (S14)

SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna'
  ghurmoH naQvam
This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase the
  effective range for distance targeting. (S14)

naQ megh'an yI'uch.
naQ 'er'In yI'uch.
Grasp the end of the stick. (HQ 12.2)

naQ megh'an yI'uchHa'.
naQ 'er'In yI'uchHa'.
Let go of the end of the stick. (HQ 12.2)

naQ megh'an 'er'In je tI'uch.
naQ 'er'In megh'an je tI'uch.
Grasp both ends of the stick . (HQ 12.2)

naQ megh'an 'er'In ghap yI'uch.
naQ 'er'In megh'an ghap yI'uch.
Grasp either end of the stick. (HQ 12.2)

Qang naQ velqa'
Chancellor's Cane Replica  (MKE)

SEE:
chonnaQ 	hunting spear (n)
naQ 'er  	brush devil (a Klingon animal) (n)
naQHom  	stick (used to strike percussion instrument) (n)
naQjej  		spear (n)
naQjejHom  	arrow (n)
nItlh naQ 	pigment stick (slang) (n)
puq chonnaQ 	fork (n)
qengwI' naQ 	(rifle) stock (n)
qul naQmey 	matches  (n)
Qang naQ 	chancellor's cane (n)
rItlh naQ 	pigment stick  (n)
Soj naQmey 	chopsticks  (n)
wuS rItlh naQ 	lipstick (n)
'oy'naQ 	painstik (n)
'un naQ 	stirring/mixing stick (n)

SEE ALSO:
SIyech 		cane, reed (n)
tIH 		shaft (of spear) (n)

N.B.  do not confuse with the slang noun {naQ} "ponytail" or the verb {naQ} "be full".

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons