[tlhIngan Hol] {bam} and {DIgh} difference

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 3 07:13:42 PST 2020

On 3/3/2020 10:10 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> jIH:
> > Do we use {bam} when we will face
> > something unpleasant in the future
> SuStel:
> > You might say noH wIbam. ngay' vIchav! > We face a war. I will
> achieve glory!
>
> In this example that you wrote, do you mean it as "we face a war
> (which hasn't started yet)" or "we face a war (which has already
> started)" ?
>
> I'm wondering whether we could use {bam} not only for something which
> will happen in future, but also for something which has already begun.

*bam* is /have the prospect of having to deal with./ It's just a
prospect. You're not already dealing with it.

If you say *noH bam,* you're not saying whether the war has already
begun or not. If a war has already begun, you might be faced with the
prospect of fighting in it (but you haven't already joined in). If a war
has not yet begun but looms, you might be faced with the prospect of
fighting when it starts.