[tlhIngan Hol] why we shouldn't do transcriptions

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Mar 2 14:13:39 PST 2020

Am 02.03.2020 um 22:44 schrieb Steven Boozer:
> Some more examples supporting the pattern :
>
> QIncha'  	krincha (type of animal) (n)
> QIStaq  		Kri'stak (GN)
> QI'yoS wa'  	Krios Prime (GN)

Thanks.

> Daqrab  	well (n)
> Hoqra'  		tricorder (n)
> neqratlh 	glasses, spectacles (n)

These are not real transriptions, just two-syllable Klingon words.

> SIqral 		Skral (GN)
> {SIqral} surprises me a little.  I might have expected *{SIQal}.

I would agree if the second part was a syllable starting with KR, like
"See-kral". In the English spelling having three consonants at the
beginning of the word, the vowel was logically added between the first
two consonants (as happened in "Sutovokor" or "qI'empeq") so the half
result was "SIkral", where it looks like Sik+ral, so SIqral.

Of course, there were many other options to do this.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"