[tlhIngan Hol] neH before the neH of a sao

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jun 10 06:14:49 PDT 2020

On 6/10/2020 7:59 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> If we can say:
>
> vIghro' tIQ wIjon 'e' neH DaSaH
> you only care that we capture the ancient cat

If *neH* is okay after an *'e',* then this means /You care that it is
only the case that we capture the ancient cat./ *neH* after a pronoun is
the same as *neH* after a noun, and *neH* after a noun means /only this,
not that./ Your English translation, on the other hand, invokes the
after-a-verb sense of /merely: You care that it is merely the case that
we capture the ancient cat; You care about the triviality that is our
capturing the ancient cat.
/

So if it's a legal sentence, it doesn't mean what you think it means.

If you want to express that I only care about capturing the ancient cat
and not something else, you'd need to say something like *vIghro' tIQ
wIjon 'e' DaSaH; latlh DaSaHbe'.*

> Then why couldn't we say as well:
>
> vIghro' tIQ wIjon neH DaneH
> you only want that we capture the ancient cat

Same problem as above. In addition, the *neH* here would almost
certainly be interpreted as trivializing the *jon* instead of making
exclusive the sentence *vIghro' tIQ wIjon.*