[tlhIngan Hol] Sound of o

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sun Jun 28 07:39:24 PDT 2020

While I completely agree with you, I do so with the understanding that, as in Japanese or Danish, a long vowel is a vowel literally held for a longer duration. The pronunciation of the long vowel doesn’t shift in either of those languages the way that what we call a “long” vowel shifts in English.

The Japanese pronunciation of Tokyo uses long “o”s for both of those “o”s, and in the Romanized spelling of the Japanese can be transcribed either as Tookyoo or more commonly with the horizontal line over each “o”.

My English last name, “Martin” is pronounced in Japanese as “Maatin” with the Japanese version of a long “a”. It’s still the same sound we use in English in the word “father”, but it’s held longer, and would most commonly be spelled “Matin” with a horizontal line over the “a”.

What I’m not hearing from Okrand is the English “long o” in “mow”, which glides from what I hear as the Klingon {o} into the English “oo” sound in “goose”.

Sent from my iPad