[tlhIngan Hol] quotation with {jatlhbogh nuv}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Jun 2 09:32:47 PDT 2020

I wholeheartedly agree, plus add the reminder that relative clauses are generally less versatile in Klingon than in English. There’s nothing wrong with generally using them, but in English, we extend them to a higher degree of grammatical complexity than in Klingon.

As a general rule, if you wonder whether or not a Relative Clause can be stretched to do the thing you are considering doing with it, it would probably be better to make the Relative Clause a separate sentence, as SuStel has skillfully demonstrated.

It’s a classic example of the more general rule that Klingon speakers will tend to express the meaning of long, complex English sentences by using more shorter sentences of less convoluted, inter-linked grammar. The links are less formally made among adjacent sentences, each providing context for the other.

Having less grammatical redundancy and stricter rules pertaining to word order, Klingon works better when each sentence carries less burden, and complex meaning is distributed among something more akin to a paragraph instead of a sentence.

Remember in school when they defined a sentence as the unit of grammar expressing “a single complete thought”? Often English ignores that guideline and tosses a pile of complete thoughts into one sentence. Klingon? Not so much.

This is not a hard and fast, proscribed rule. It’s just good practice.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.