[tlhIngan Hol] Metaphor and Metonymy

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jun 17 00:25:05 PDT 2020

Hi,

I just started a page in the Klingon.wiki listing metaphorically used
words and also metonyms. Okrand did not name them as such, and I noticed
ther are others that fit in such alist which were not explicitally label
as such, like {Soj} meaning "matter, affair" instead of "food".

Then I noticed that many of the idioms use (or are) metaphors, so it
kind of overlaps. Now come the questions...

1. Did anyone ever make such a compilation already?

2. Would you understand and/or accept words taken from idioms in a
different context, like if I use {Ha'quj} without the verb {nge'} -
would you know I talk about somebody's pride? (Well, KGT says that
phrases outside of context would only be understood literally, but I'd
ask anyway.)

3. Some idioms consist of only a noun phrase, like {naH jajmey}.
Wouldn't that also be a metonymy?

See the page here:
http://klingon.wiki/En/Metaphor

--