[tlhIngan Hol] sao and to be sentences

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Jun 29 05:51:06 PDT 2020

Am 29.06.2020 um 14:22 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
> romuluS wo' wIQaw'chu' 'e' 'oHbe' ngoQmaj'e'
> our goal isn't to annihilate the romulan empire
>
> Would there be a problem with a construction as the above ? On one
> hand, I can't be able to see anything grammatically wrong with it, on
> the other hand though, it seems rather strange seeing before the
> {'oHbe'} the {'e'}.

I think it's not okay because TKD says that 'e' is "used primarily, not
exclusively, with verbs of thinking or observation"

You might stick on "not exclusively", but it continues
"They are always treated as the object of the verb, "

and {'oH} is not a verb,

and it also continues with "the verb always takes a prefix indicating a
third-person singular object."

which does also not apply to the pronoun used in a to-be-sentence.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"