[tlhIngan Hol] 'ar in "to be" constructions

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jun 18 08:07:24 PDT 2020

Good analysis.

From my perspective, part of the ignorance is over whether meta-number words (like {Hoch} {‘op} and {‘ar}) grammatically placed in a position appropriate for an adjectivally applied stative verb following a noun have not been explicitly categorized as adjectives, since they are clearly not verbs (as other adjectives are) and cannot, by all indications, be used as verbs as most pronouns can.

This is basically a very small group of highly exceptional chuvmey. Either they can act as nouns, or they have noun homophones, and they are placed as either nouns or adjectival verbs, except when they are placed before the nouns, like numbers normally are, except when the numbers follow the noun, when they label the noun indicating a position in a sequential list…

TKD doesn’t come close to explaining all this, and canon gives us enough information for general usage without a lot of confidence for exceptional cases, such as this thread’s inquiry.

I’m rusty enough that I don’t remember with certainty whether Type 5 noun suffixes migrate to a pronoun following what would be the noun with Type 5 suffix (I think it does), but even if it does, we have no information on whether or not that rule would apply to these number-related words that are not adjectivally used stative verbs.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.

> On Jun 18, 2020, at 10:42 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
> On 6/18/2020 10:18 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
>> jIH:
>>> 1) jaghpu'na'ma' chaH qama' 'ar'e' ?
>>> or