[tlhIngan Hol] Metaphor and Metonymy

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jun 17 06:43:02 PDT 2020

Am 17.06.2020 um 15:11 schrieb SuStel:
> Is that actually a metonym? I understand metonymy to be when you use an
> element of a thing to name the thing itself. For instance, when someone
> refers to "the crown" to mean the royal ruler. The crown is an element
> of the royal person being used to name to the royal person.

Yes, indeed. Another example is "Hollywood" referring to movie business
in general.

Okrand used the term only in one place, regarding {ngup}:

Literally meaning "cape," this slang term is an example of metonymy,
whereby one word (or phrase) stands for another with which it is
associated. In this case, the leader of the Klingon High Council
typically wears a ceremonial cape. (KGT p. 157)

> *Soj* /food/ is not an element of a matter or affair that can be used to
> name a matter or affair, so it's not a metonym.

Thanks. I'll mark it as such. So it's a metaphor?

>> 3. Some idioms consist of only a noun phrase, like {naH jajmey}.
>> Wouldn't that also be a metonymy?
>
> That's not a metonym either.

So also a metaphor?

--