[tlhIngan Hol] Metaphor and Metonymy

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jun 17 06:11:59 PDT 2020

On 6/17/2020 3:25 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> I just started a page in the Klingon.wiki listing metaphorically used
> words and also metonyms. Okrand did not name them as such, and I noticed
> ther are others that fit in such alist which were not explicitally label
> as such, like {Soj} meaning "matter, affair" instead of "food".

Is that actually a metonym? I understand metonymy to be when you use an
element of a thing to name the thing itself. For instance, when someone
refers to "the crown" to mean the royal ruler. The crown is an element
of the royal person being used to name to the royal person.

*Soj* /food/ is not an element of a matter or affair that can be used to
name a matter or affair, so it's not a metonym.

> 3. Some idioms consist of only a noun phrase, like {naH jajmey}.
> Wouldn't that also be a metonymy?

That's not a metonym either.