[tlhIngan Hol] Maltz on flipping and tipping

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Jun 9 00:52:42 PDT 2020

Hi there,

after there was some confusion on whether the new word {qaw'} meant "tip
over" (90°) or "flip over" (180°), Maltz clarified this, and even told
us a new word for more clarification.

This message is archived at qepHom.de:
http://www.qephom.de/e/message_from_maltz_200604.html

and in the Klingon Language wiki:
http://klingon.wiki/Word/Kaw-

-----begin quote --------
After I explained to Maltz what you'd said about flipping and tipping,
he said that we should say that {qaw'} means "tip over" and {qaw'moH}
means "tip over, knock over, knock down."

You'd use {qaw'} if the object tipped over on its own accord or
seemingly on its own accord (even if there is a known cause). If you
lose your balance, you may {qaw'} (in English, in this situation, you'd
probably say "fall" or "fall down" or "fall over" rather than "tip
over," but it's the same sort of action). Without remediation, the
Leaning Tower of Pisa might {qaw'} one day. A few years ago, we had an
earthquake here. I wasn't home at the time, so I didn't know what kind
of damage (if any) to expect when I got home. It turns out, almost
everything was fine! Only one little statue {qaw'}ed.

So what the rebels do is {qaw'moH} the cars (like some folks are doing
in the US right now).

For flip all the way over, it's a little more complicated.

	{yoy} means "be upside-down"

	{yoymoH} is fine for "flip (all the way) over"

But if something flipped all the way over on its own accord or seemingly
on its own accord (parallel to {qaw'}), that would be {tach} "turn
over." You'd be more likely to use {tachmoH} than {yoymoH} when moving
someone from a prone to a supine position. And you'd be more likely to
use {yoymoH} than {tachmoH} when flipping over hamburgers or pancakes.
On the other hand, either would be fine for flipping over cards, with
{yoymoH} implying a quicker or crisper action. I can imagine in a Kalibo
show, there might be an opportunity to use {tach} without the {-moH}!

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"