[tlhIngan Hol] New words

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jul 28 06:26:27 PDT 2020

On 7/28/2020 9:08 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 28.07.2020 um 14:53 schrieb SuStel:
>> https://wikidiff.com/shiny/glossy#:~:text=As%20adjectives%20the%20difference%20between,smooth%2C%20silklike%2C%20reflective%20surface.
>>

> Thanks, that looks useful, but still doesn't help, because there is
> overlap in meaning.
>
> When I read "reflective surface" I think of a blade, which is {boch}.
> And a glossy surface might still be reflecting light, does it not?
> That's what the wikipeida article explains as well....
>
> Does maybe "glossy" refer to the surface quality, while "shiny" says
> what it does? So could I say that a glossy surface is shiny?

Being shiny is just one quality of a glossy surface. Something glossy is
also smooth and silk-like. Not everything that is shiny is smooth and
silk-like. A full-color, high-quality magazine is shiny, smooth, and
silk-like (hence their informal name, /glossies/). A suit of mail may be
shiny, but it is not smooth or silk-like, and so it isn't glossy. The
side of a blade will be smooth and shiny, but not silk-like, so it's not
glossy