[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SoSbor

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 13:04:25 PDT 2020

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 17:00, Klingon Word of the Day <kwotd at wizage.net>
wrote:

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, July 12, 2020
>
> Klingon word: SoSbor
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: core
> Source: BOP

This is a back-formation from {De'wI' SoSbor'a'} "main computer core". It
has been generally *assumed* that *{SoSbor} is an independent word with the
suffix {-'a'}, but we don't actually know this for a fact, do we? That is,
it may be that {SoSbor'a'} is a word which just *happens to* end in
something that looks like the suffix {-'a'} (similar to {bIQ'a'}). The fact
that {De'wI' SoSbor'a'} is "main computer core" though does strongly
suggest that {De'wI' SoSbor} would be a regular computer core, though.

(Also, the pun here is quite clearly {SoSbor} = "motherboard".)

--
De'vID