[tlhIngan Hol] relative strength of the epithets

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Jul 21 08:38:46 PDT 2020

While I agree with the possibility that all you say is right, I don’t accept the authority with which you speak as if your conclusions are final and unquestionable.

I specifically remember being four years old and being corrected for having said “gooder”. Part of language acquisition is learning the rules, from which one concludes that “gooder” ought to be the correct form of the word. Another part of language acquisition is learning the exceptions to the regular rules for word formation. It’s been noted by people with much more authority than I have that irregular forms of words tend to persist among the most commonly used words and dissolve as words are used less often.

Stockings are hung by the chimney with care, but men are hanged for murder. My wife finds that distinction extremely important, and she’s right, but given how common execution by hanging has been through many centuries of English and American culture, I strongly suspect that the rarity of modern usage will eventually erase it from the list of irregularities in the language.

It may be the case that adults erase irregular words from the vocabulary, but based on my own memory of my “gooder” moment, it’s quite likely that if a child learns the rules for regular word forms and is not exposed to corrections for an irregular form, that’s a very natural overlap of language acquisition and language evolution, and it explains why less commonly used words become more regular, while very commonly used irregular words do not.

I strongly suspect that you and I are not the only two people who disagree on this.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.