[tlhIngan Hol] prefix trick with {-'egh} and {-chuq}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jul 7 06:02:56 PDT 2020

On 7/7/2020 8:55 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> jIH:
>> Couldn't we use the prefix trick with {-'egh} and {-chuq} ?
> SuStel:
>> Aside from breaking the rule about using only no-object prefixes with the reflexive suffixes
> I'm sorry for the silly-stupid-ridiculous question that I'm about to
> ask.. But I can't understand how the rule about using only no-object
> prefixes with reflexive suffixes is broken.
>
> Suppose we write:
>
> taj jInob'eghpu'
> I gave myself a knife
>
> or
>
> taj manobchuqpu'
> we gave each other a knife
>
> How do the above examples break the rule in question ? Both the {jI-}
> and the {ma-} are no-object prefixes. Obviously there's something very
> basic which I don't understand, and this worries me.

Oh, no, those simply don't follow the prefix trick rule, which is this:
"When the indirect object ... is first or second person, the pronominal
prefix which normally indicates first or second person object may be used."

Whether or not you think the subject of a reflexive verb can be its
indirect object, you haven't used prefixes which normally indicate
first- or second-person object.