[tlhIngan Hol] naH in fruit names 'oQqar in vegetable names

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 05:29:31 PDT 2020

'epIl naH
ghIrep naH
Sutra'ber naH

but..

tera' na'ran
tera' na'ran'a'
tanje'rIn

and..

'anyan 'oQqar
gharlIq 'oQqar

andl let's not forget

tlhagh patat 'oQqar naQHom

With regards to the fruits, I can't understand the rationale by which
some fruits have the {naH} and some don't. Does this mean that while
we can say {tanje'rInmey Soppu' qeSHoS}, we can't just say {'epIlmey
Soppu' qeSHoS} ? Do we *need* to add the {naH} too, thus writing
{'epIl naHmey Soppu' qeSHoS} ?

Similarly, if we want to say "the chef put french fries next to the steak".

Can't we just say {Ha'DIbaH baylaD retlhDaq tlhagh patat naQHommey
lanpu' vutwI'} ? Do we *need* to add the {'oQqar} too, thus writing
{Ha'DIbaH baylaD retlhDaq tlhagh patat 'oQqar naQHommey lanpu' vutwI'}
?

~ Qa'yIn