[tlhIngan Hol] New words

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Wed Jul 29 08:31:07 PDT 2020

On Jul 29, 2020, at 10:49 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> The difference between glossy and shiny is NOT reducible to glossy being about texture and shiny being about reflection.

I largely agree. Reducing them to those ideas is not appropriare.

However, I cannot deny that if there were two bright and equally reflective objects, one smooth and the other not, I would call only the smooth one “glossy”. Similarly, with two reflective and equally smooth objects, one bright and the other not, I would call only the bright one “shiny”.

For me, the difference in meaning involves texture vs. brightness. They both certainly share other attributes.

-- ghunchu'wI'