[tlhIngan Hol] New words

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jul 29 07:49:23 PDT 2020

On 7/29/2020 10:17 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 29.07.2020 um 14:51 schrieb SuStel:
>> Why not just leave it to /glossy/ and /shiny/ and not try to
>> editorialize what words mean?
>
> Because I am working on a dictionary that includes information
> explaining words just in case they are ambiguous.

Then explain the difference between the English words, not the Klingon
ones. We don't KNOW that Klingons would find the difference between
*chorgh* and *boch* to be the same difference that I've been describing
between /glossy/ and /shiny./ We just know a couple of things that have
canonically been described as *boch.*

> > People have access to dictionaries.
>
> True, but they don't use them, especially if they believe they know what
> a word means. Think of {pong} being used to "call" someone on the phone.

There's a big difference between declaring one of the given senses of a
word the right one in translation and editorializing on the meaning of a
definition, especially when you admit you're not clear on that
difference. The difference between /glossy/ and /shiny/ is NOT reducible
to /glossy/ being about texture and /shiny/ being about reflection.