[tlhIngan Hol] New words

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jul 29 07:17:39 PDT 2020

Am 29.07.2020 um 14:51 schrieb SuStel:
> Why not just leave it to /glossy/ and /shiny/ and not try to
> editorialize what words mean?

Because I am working on a dictionary that includes information
explaining words just in case they are ambiguous.

 > People have access to dictionaries.

True, but they don't use them, especially if they believe they know what
a word means. Think of {pong} being used to "call" someone on the phone.

> All this talk is not about the difference between the Klingon words
> *chorgh* and *boch,* but about the difference between the English words
> /glossy/ and /shiny./ Whether these words translate absolutely exactly
> is unknown.

That is true. But I am also working on German dictionaries; And you know
what? In German, there is one single word for both "glossy" and "shiny".
That's why I started this discussion.

And then Google translate explains "glossy" as "shiny and smooth".
Webster tells me that glossy means "having a shiny surface" while shiny
is explained as "bright or glossy in appearance". The overlap is huge,
diffcult and confusing.

(After all, I wonder why this word was requested or accepted to be
requested, because I think that {boch} would have worked for this
concept. But that's another topic.)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"