[tlhIngan Hol] subject of the -bogh clause of a sao being the subject of another verb

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Jul 28 08:21:09 PDT 2020

Thanks.

I posted the more detailed critique less to be right than to expand on a broader sense of where the limits are, knowing that if I was overextending, you’d catch me and we’d all benefit from the more detailed explanation.

Trying to wrap my head around what he’s doing here, it seems that in all cases except your favorite, he has worked optional word order so that clauses that optionally could follow the main clause precede it, instead, which stops what would otherwise encapsulate the first sentence of SAO in the second sentence.

In that “best of all” example, he breaks that rule, except that he uses stanzas to make it clear where the SAO attaches itself.

And that brings me to wonder to what extent paq’batlh is poetry, and therefore not confined to the grammar we generally need to hold ourselves to.

I mean, it hammers away at this specific grammatical construction — where SAO has a Type 9 suffix on one of the two “main” verbs of SAO, giving us far more canon about this than we have for most guidance about most but the most simple grammatical constructions… but it takes the form of poetry, which we are told is exceptional to general grammar, like using {-mey} on body parts.

I’m not arguing that we can’t accept this as canon. I’m just wondering whether this is great canon for grammar in general, or if it hints at a generalizable truth about the grammar, but poetically extends it beyond spoken norm in that one example, since it uses a stanza — a tool of poetry — to put the first sentence of SAO directly in front of the verb it needs to be attached to, or whether the entire use of SAO with Type-9-affixed verbs is poetic and not generalizable.

It’s merely a personal doubt and not one I propose to be an actual ruling, since only Okrand can make that kind of declaration.

Anyway, thanks for the great research and the point well made. This is helpful to everyone.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.