[tlhIngan Hol] subject of the -bogh clause of a sao being the subject of another verb

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Jul 28 07:16:18 PDT 2020

To offer a slightly more specific critique: A relative clause is not a sentence. It’s a noun phrase. As such, it can’t be the second sentence in a Sentence As Object (SAO) construction.

This is just a different reasoning than SuStel’s equally valid critique.

The only way this could possibly interpreted as functional is to have the first sentence of the SAO be included in the relative clause, which doesn’t work because you can’t stretch a relative clause or SAO that far. Each are grammatically exceptional with limits on complexity.

If it worked (and it doesn’t), then the word order would have to be (and keep in mind, this is not grammatically correct but merely a step closer to being grammatically correct in order to show why the whole idea doesn’t work):

Dun [Qap yuQDaj ‘e’ tulbogh nuv].

It doesn’t work because you can’t have the first sentence in SAO contained within the second sentence. It’s not a “Sentence As Object”. It’s a “Sentence As Object Within Another Sentence”, which is not a valid grammatical construction in Klingon.

In general, a Type 9 suffix on either main verb in SAO should set off alarms, since the addition of Type 9 suffix turns the verb into something functionally different from a main verb, and SAO requires two main verbs.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.