[tlhIngan Hol] starting sentences with conjunctions

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jul 22 06:04:58 PDT 2020

On 7/22/2020 7:52 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Would it be possible to start a klingon sentence with a conjunction ?
> For example, could we start a sentence with {'ej} ?

/paq'batlh/ has sentences that start with conjunctions in the same
places that the English version has sentences that start with conjunctions.

> Since in some cases klingon follows the english way of saying things,
> I searched for whether starting a sentence with a conjunction is
> correct in english, and I found that it is:

It's a matter of style, as are many of the questions you've asked
lately. If your English teacher tells you not to do it, you don't do it,
but when you're reading, say, the Bible, expect to see it.

Beginning sentences with conjunctions like /and/ and /but/ is actually a
style that was used heavily before there was widespread literacy. In a
time when you were far more likely to have someone read a book to you
than to read it yourself, using /and /and /but/ to string together
sentences is a useful storytelling technique that adds a sense of
urgency and keeps the audience's attention.