[tlhIngan Hol] jar DamaSqu'bogh yIngu' vs nuq 'oH jar'e' DamaSqu'bogh

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Jul 13 08:11:51 PDT 2020

Once again, your analysis is excellent. Question words are chuvmey and they stand in for the things I said they stand in for. I should have said that {nuq} stands in for a noun and can’t stand in for anything but a noun.

{yIH nuq} works because {nuq} sort of works like a pronoun, except when it doesn’t. Considering that the correct answer would be {Ha’DIbaH ‘oH yIH’e’} it’s pretty clear that {yIH nuq} is probably a shortened version of {nuq ‘oH yIH’e’}. The word {nuq} absorbs the meaning of {nuq ‘oH}, and with a single noun combined with the resulting chuv acting as a pronoun, the noun comes first.

We don’t say *{nuq yIH} for the same reason we don’t say *{maH tlhIngan}. When one noun forms a sentence with a pronoun, the noun comes first.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.