[tlhIngan Hol] jar DamaSqu'bogh yIngu' vs nuq 'oH jar'e' DamaSqu'bogh

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jul 13 07:53:34 PDT 2020

On 7/13/2020 10:37 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> the Klingon word {nuq} is a noun. It’s never anything but a noun.

The Klingon word *nuq* is a *chuv.* it's never anything but a *chuv.*
However, it can /stand in/ for a noun. We have a term for words that
stand in for nouns: /pronouns./ And we know something else about Klingon
pronouns: they can be used in copulas, where one word gets identified
with another word. *yIH nuq?**
*

> You can’t use it in any question that tries to ask a question that is
> not answered by the statement formed by repeating the question with
> {nuq} replaced by the noun it stands for.

In basic sentences, this is correct, and I believe your reasoning for
why *jarlIj qaq nuq* doesn't work is also correct. However, it is not
generally true, as the answer to *yIH nuq* cannot be *yIH Ha'DIbaH 'up****.*