[tlhIngan Hol] prefix trick with {-'egh} and {-chuq}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jul 7 09:08:08 PDT 2020

On 7/7/2020 11:23 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> So, the prefix trick only works for an indirect object, being a first
> or second person

Yes.

> being capable of using language (since things not capable of speech
> can’t be speaking in the first person and it has not been culturally
> confirmed that Klingons speak to things incapable of using language).

Don't insert this editorial into the explanation. It hasn't been
culturally confirmed that Klingons DON'T speak to things incapable of
using language or that things incapable of using language can't be fed
words as if they were.

> The prefix syntactically suggests that this indirect object were the
> direct object, though grammatically (semantically?), it is treated as
> the indirect object, so that a “di-transitive” verb (like {nob}) can
> free up the syntactic slot for direct object, since Klingon lacks
> syntax for two direct objects.

The prefix does not syntactically suggest that the indirect object is
the direct object. The prefix agrees with an "object." NOWHERE does TKD
say anything about that object having to be direct.

In Klingon, "object" is a syntactic role. It is the unmarked argument to
the verb that precedes the verb. It generally represents the entity on
which the verb is acting, without regard to what that actually means.
"Direct object" is a semantic role meaning the entity to which the
action of the verb is done. In simple sentences, the semantic direct
object is usually the syntactic object. "Indirect object" is a semantic
role meaning the entity that receives the result of the action of the
verb. In simple sentences, the semantic indirect object is usually
either a syntactic object or a syntactic "beneficiary" (noun marked with
*-vaD* that goes before any object), depending on the circumstances of
the sentence.

A verb like *nob* is not ditransitive. Klingon does not have
ditransitivity. Ditransitivity is when you have multiple syntactic
objects. A Klingon verb always has, at most, a single syntactic object.
What *nob* CAN have is simultaneous direct and indirect objects. *SoHvaD
taj vInob: SoHvaD* is the syntactic beneficiary and the semantic
indirect object and *taj* is the syntactic object and semantic direct
object. *taj qanob:* *SoH* has no syntactic role because it is not said
in the sentence and *taj* is the syntactic object and semantic direct
object. In neither of these cases is there two syntactic objects.

> I’m sure that this will spur on a clarification about the Klingon idea
> of “object” without reference to it being “direct” or “indirect”, but
> the point is, a Klingon sentence has one position for a direct object,
> and a Type 5 suffix for indirect object.

Wrong. A Klingon sentence has one position for an object and a type 5
suffix for beneficiary. Where its semantic roles end up depend on the
nature of the sentence.

> You can’t have two direct object nouns in a Klingon sentence. There is
> no place to put the second one.

This is true. You can't have two nouns with the semantic role of direct
object because you can only have one noun with the syntactic role of object.

> {-egh} and {-chuq} is a different grammatical area where literal
> syntax suggests something other than the semantics.

Yes! Exactly!

> The syntax says there’s no direct object,

No, the syntax says there's no object. In a sentence like *maleghchuq
maH*/We see each other,/ the direct object is also the subject.

> but {-chuq} or {-‘egh} inform us that the subject is also the object.

Strictly speaking, TKD says nothing about the subject being the object.
It says "This suffix is used to indicate that the action described by
the verb affects the performer of the action, the subject." It also says
"the prefix set indicating 'no object' must also be used." There is
nothing there about the actual presence of an object. "Affects the
performer" semantically describes a direct object.

> It doesn’t say that the subject is also the indirect object.

And yet two of the examples on that very page demonstrate the subject
being the indirect object. *yIja''egh */Tell yourself//!/
*pe'ja''egh*/Tell yourselves!/ are examples in which the reflexivity
indicates an indirect object. (Strictly speaking, there are no subjects
in these sentences, since they're imperative.) Semantically, the person
is an indirect object.
//

/
/

> /
> /
> //
> Perhaps, the “object” can represent either a null-pronoun or invisible
> noun direct object, or even an invisible {-vaD}-appended pronoun?

What would be the point of inventing phantom words?