[tlhIngan Hol] prefix trick with {-'egh} and {-chuq}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Jul 6 07:04:13 PDT 2020

Great analysis. Great answer.

I thought I had an idea about the exception, but on second thought, it doesn’t work...

{quv HIja’chuq}

There are exceptions, and then there are EXCEPTIONS, and this one is an EXCEPTION.

Okay, on THIRD thought, it makes sense because it’s a command. There is no imperative prefix for the first person subject, no object, so it’s impossible to follow the rule about {-chuq} here. The only way to say “we/us” as an imperative (which always has the second person subject), if you mean singular you and singular me, is to use {HI-}.

So, the sentence translates as an imperative direct quote:

“Honor.” Don’t tell me that/Don’t discuss that with me.

So, yes, it breaks the rule, but there’s no way to say this without breaking the rule. Maybe {ja’chuq} is a fossilized root verb, but it doesn’t have to be in order to explain why this is so exceptional.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.