[tlhIngan Hol] law' with regards to uncountable nouns

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 06:23:22 PDT 2020

Suppose we want to say "high (in intensity) electricity". The logical
way to say it would be by the use of {vItlh} thus writing {'ul vItlh}.

So, if we wanted to say "a great amount of electricity moves this
ship", we'd write {Dujvam vIHmoH 'ul vItlh}, since the {'ul vItlh} is
obviously singular.

But suppose we chose to write this sentence the old-school way by the
use of {law'}. How should we treat the {'ul law'} ? As singular or as
plural ?

Should we write:
{Dujvam vIHmoH 'ul law'}

or should we write:
{Dujvam luvIHmoH 'ul law'} ?

With the problem here coming from the fact, that {law'} is defined as
"be many, be numerous".

There's been a Ca'Non example of the {'ul law'}, but unfortunately it
doesn't shed much light with regards to how the {'ul law'} is to be
treated. The Ca'Non example is the following:

{chIch vay' 'oy'moHmeH 'oy'naQ 'ul law' tlhuD 'oH}
Painstiks ... emit a highly ­charged shock for the express purpose of
inflicting pain. S32

~ Qa'yIn