[tlhIngan Hol] using {-lu'} in conjunction with {-ghach}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jan 16 08:57:13 PST 2020

Great discussion.

If I were to guess at what {vanglu’ghach} could mean, based on the way {-ghach} works with other suffixes and on what you are rightly pointing out about what {-lu’} does to a verb, I’d probably come up with “the anonymity of action”, which is not a particularly meaningful noun, from my perspective. I suggest it less because I think that such an interpretation of {vanglu’gach} is useful than I do to illustrate why {vanglu’ghach} is almost certainly not a useful addition to Klingon vocabulary.

Maybe one could stretch one’s imagination to illustrate an example where the inability to identify one who does a thing is the focus of meaning one needs a noun for, but it would be a long stretch, and we’ve gone decades without needing that word. We can probably go decades more before such a need arises.

Similarly, I’d interpret {leghlu’wI’} as one who anonymously sees. In other words, an unidentifiable seer, like {ja’lu’wI’} might be the narrator of a story, as viewed from the reality of the story itself. “Where is that voice coming from?”

Or maybe Klingon has the perfect word to describe the source of those voices in my head...

See how weird this gets?

Nominalizing a verb with {-lu’}? I agree that it’s probably a bad idea.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.