[tlhIngan Hol] pluralizing groups of beings capable of language

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 7 08:19:41 PST 2020

Apparently the ability to use language is important for individuals, not groups.   For example:

qorDu'wIj quvmo' jImaghpu' qorDu'wIj quvqa'moHlu'meH jIvang vIneH
The reason of my betrayal was my family honor, I want to restore this
honor. (PB)

Note {qorDu’wIj} not *{qorDu’wI’}.    Another example:

jonlu'meH wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (ST5 notes)

Note {wo’maj} not *{wo’ma’}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: mayqel qunen'oS

The way I understand it is, that when we pluralize a group of beings capable of
language, then we use {-mey}.
For example, we'll say {qorDu'mey} for "families", and not {qorDu'pu'}.
Right ?